Teenager almost buried alive after digging huge hole on beach before it collapses

A man was almost buried alive after a 6ft hole he dug on a Cornish beach collapsed.

The 18-year-old became trapped on Fistral beach in Newquay, at around 5.30pm yesterday, rescuers said.

Emergency services and members of the public intervened to help the man, using surfboards and stretchers to secure the hole around him.

The man was treated in an ambulance before being taken to hospital.

He was then released and it is hoped he will make a full recovery, Cornwall Live reports.

The fire service said he was a “very, very, lucky boy”.

Tweeting details of the incident, Newquay Community Fire Station tweeted: “Yesterday Red watch attended a multi agency rescue to dig a man from a collapsed hole #Fistral he luckily survived thanks to the efforts of all involved.

“Just a reminder to think about the dangers around digging holes on beaches! Enjoy the #beach but #staysafe #Cornwall #fire.”

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “Police were called by the coastguard at 5.30pm last night (1 July) to Fistral Beach following reports that sand had collapsed onto a male causing him to become trapped.

“Emergency services and members of the public removed him from the hole and he was left in the care of the ambulance service.”

Over the years the coastguard has highlighted the “serious consequences” that can arise from tunnelling or digging under the sand on beaches.

In 2005, three-year-old Abbie Livingstone-Nurse died after falling into a hole dug under the sand at the high tide mark at Upper Towans Beach in Hayle.

Lifeguards rushed to help the little girl who had become trapped in the five feet deep pit after playing with her brother on the beach.

In 2018 a 14-year-old boy was described as having an “extremely lucky escape” after getting stuck up to the neck in a collapsed hole in Newquay.

He was digging in the sand when the 6ft deep hole collapsed, and subsequently became trapped up to neck height.

The Newquay Coastguard team said he was in “serious danger”.